linemantoolbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Power Quality

2 posters

Go down

Power Quality Empty Power Quality

Post  rcdallas Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:22 pm

Power Quality is one of the things I respond to.

My Company is becoming a pretty tech saavy place to work for. With our AMS meter utilizing a RF mesh network where for some time now they will report an outage before the customer calls. For a length of time now we've been working power quality whereas the meter is able to send so much data, that one way we've been utilizing the data being sent back to mothership is responding to trouble before the customer even has an outage.

The meter will see blinks so fine as a fraction of a second with power loss that the customer never notices.

The picture below shows just that; looking up close it's a no brainer what the problem is; however using a MEGABEAST putting 80 amp load at the meter I really didn't see much of an issue until I decided to pay close attention to the .3 volt difference I was getting under load between each leg. As soon as I walked out to the pole I could clearly see from the ground where the problem was; insulation melted back is a tattle tale.

BRUSH YOUR WIRE BOYS...

Power Quality Image-10

rcdallas
rcdallas

Back to top Go down

Power Quality Empty Re: Power Quality

Post  MI-Lineman Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:06 pm

.3 difference? Damn that's great here! Rolling Eyes

Oh and that right there is why there are no squeeze ons or pgs on my truck!! Gun Draw
MI-Lineman
MI-Lineman

Back to top Go down