linemantoolbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AMS Meters

5 posters

Go down

AMS Meters Empty AMS Meters

Post  rcdallas Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:00 am

Here's a picture of a "router" that works with the AMS meters that we have here. They use what is called a RF Mesh network where the meters talk to each other; then the meters then talk to routers in this picture. Then the router will talk to basically another antenna located at the substation called a collector. The space these routers out based on elevation/line of site, etc.

Whenever I find the picture of it over in Dallas they have a AMS system that uses Broadband over Powerline (BPL) and looks like some kind of SCI-FI deal mounted up there.

AMS Meters Img_0610

rcdallas
rcdallas

Back to top Go down

AMS Meters Empty Re: AMS Meters

Post  MI-Lineman Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:40 pm

So no more meter readers there RC?
MI-Lineman
MI-Lineman

Back to top Go down

Post  Highplains Drifter Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:56 am

Your collectors probably have a battery back up mounted next to them. Nothing worse then losing Data because of a power outage. You must not have gas. Gas meters bounce to a DCU ( Data Collection Unit ) which is nothing more then a big cell phone mounted on a pole. DCUs also have a battery back up. There is no telling what other data those things are transferring or how much. You must remember with your AMS meters everyone has a computer mounted on their house that they have no control of.

Last edited by Highplains Drifter on Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Highplains Drifter
Highplains Drifter

Back to top Go down

Post  rcdallas Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:02 am

MI-Lineman wrote:So no more meter readers there RC?

Very few left. The AMS deployment isn't 100% system wide yet but it's getting there quick. Now there are a handful of folks that play with just the AMS meters where sometimes they don't remotely open or close on non-pay, etc.

Some of the readers are getting into helper positions if they choose to relocate they have a better chance of getting on a line crew.
rcdallas
rcdallas

Back to top Go down

Post  rcdallas Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:16 am

Highplains Drifter wrote:Your collectors probably have a battery back up mounted next to them. Nothing worse then losing Data because of a power outage. You must not have gas. Gas meters bounce to a DCU ( Data Collection Unit ) which is nothing more then a big cell phone mounted on a pole. DCUs also have a battery back up. There is no telling what other data those things are transferring or how much. You must remember with your AMS meters everyone has computer mounted on their house that they have no control of.

Actually there are battery's in the meters and in that router I posted above. I can tell you when a transformer shows no power to one of those routers it's treated the same as a fire call priority 1 get there yesterday.

Some of them are in remote locations where if a fuse does blow from lightning or whatever after a storm; better load up the mule because your not taking a truck in there....IF YOU CAN FIND THEM!

I met a guy who knows too much about those meters and there is a lot of information passed around in them - on the good side once all the bugs get worked out it'll be a troubleman's dream with the things that we already have in place. It's like playing a video game working trouble is the best I can describe it.

On the bad side....well who knows how secure that stuff is, does some nerd know when I'm home and when I'm not? Conspiracy theory Suspect

Haven't messed with the collectors at the substation; think transmission put that up. I'm just a dumb distribution guy pirat lol!

No gas here!
rcdallas
rcdallas

Back to top Go down

Post  BC_boy Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:04 am

Last edited by BC_boy on Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
BC_boy
BC_boy

Back to top Go down

Post  Highplains Drifter Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:49 pm

BC_boy wrote:These are being put in all over BC, but up here they're calling them "Smart Meters." There's a big stink of opposition being made about them, mostly from the tinfoil hat brigade who seem to think these things are going to give everyone brain tumours. Numbers come out from one side, then the other side puts out different numbers so noone really knows what the truth about the radio waves they put out. I think they're a good idea as in if I was running an electric grid, I would like to know how much electricity is being used where and when, but I am a little concerned about someone being able to intercept the signals and know when I'm not using any power and therefore, not home. They say they're encrypted and secure, but I guess we will just have to wait and see, I don't think they're transmitting yet until they've completed the switchover of all the meters in BC. Maybe CL knows more about these.

With the Smart meter they can run an analyzes of the appliances you have in your home and even tell you if the capacitor is going bad in your refrigerator. They also for a lower rate plan can place a relay on your home’s thermostat . What they want to do is like in the summer raise your setting so brown outs can be controlled easier. And of course in the winter they would like to lower the setting you have your heat set at.
Maybe Big Brother has arrived. What a Face
Highplains Drifter
Highplains Drifter

Back to top Go down

Post  rcdallas Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:53 am

Went to a dog and pony show with all the smart meter gizmos there. They had everything with things like you said hooked up to the refrigerator. I like technology and all but I do draw the line on certain things.

Now with the meters not being secure; when first introduced someone intercepted it as nothing was secure--last I heard it was but like anything else you get someone with enough time and effort they'll get in. Suspect
rcdallas
rcdallas

Back to top Go down

Post  CanadianLineman Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:58 pm

The big problem here in BC is that BC Hydro has gone whole hog and are putting them in every place they now have a single phase revenue meter. The immediate problem is they are spending $1 Billion to change them all out in a single go rather than wait for a situ change out as required every 10 years or so.

The other BIG problem is no one here understands exactly what they do except emit radio emissions of some kind. I really don't buy into the big brother thing all that much because I have a TV reception box in my kitchen and living-room that probably is more capable of spying on my every move over the "Smart Meter". I have no idea what this TV box is capable of doing but I know the phone company that is my server can get into my computer and TV anytime they want. I also know it can transmit other info back to the phone company. Can't figure out why more aren't worried about this.

If BC Hydro, with their smart meter program, had provided free internet for our $1Billion expenditure, and that was a distinct and real possibility with the meters, it might well have been worth the expenditure but of course it won't be done because we have some of the highers internet service price on earth here.
CanadianLineman
CanadianLineman

http://www.shotgunsbc.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down