linemantoolbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nine poles down Thursday Morning

+2
rcdallas
topgroove
6 posters

Go down

Nine poles  down Thursday Morning Empty Nine poles down Thursday Morning

Post  topgroove Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:44 am

August 3, 2012
Crash topples power poles
Nine poles  down Thursday Morning G0002510
By Michael Regan , michael.regan@tonawanda-news.com The Tonawanda News

Tonawanda News — An underage woman who police say was driving drunk crashed into a utility pole early Thursday, causing a chain effect that closed down a portion of River Road for hours.

At noon, there were more cones then cars, as National Grid crews worked to repair the damage, including nine fallen utility poles, and restore power to several businesses in the area.

Emily A. Harrison, 20, 660 Shad St., was charged at 4:18 a.m. with DWI, refusal to take a breath test and driving left of pavement markings. She is being held in lieu of $250 bail. No injuries were reported.

Brad Rowles, supervisor of the department of public works, said his outfit received a call from police at 5 a.m., asking for barriers and cones to redirect traffic. River Road was closed down completely between Goundry and Schenk streets until 9 a.m., when two lanes were reopened to let traffic through, after National Grid cleared one fallen pole that was blocking the street.

“It was a domino effect,” Rowles said. “But this isn’t the first time I’ve been around one of these accidents during my career. You have transformers, you an have three on a pole, which makes them top heavy. When one breaks, it pretty much goes down the line until it stops.”

Rowles said National Grid would complete the repairs by midnight Thursday.

National Grid Spokesperson Stephen Brady said roughly three dozen businesses in the area were without electricity for much of the day, though after repairs were made power had returned to all but three of them by the end of the day.

“Interestingly it did not affect a huge number of customers,” Brady said.
Contact Reporter Michael Regan at 693-1000, ext. 4115.

It took awhile but by 8 pm we were done

topgroove
topgroove

Back to top Go down

Nine poles  down Thursday Morning Empty Re: Nine poles down Thursday Morning

Post  topgroove Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:37 pm

Nine poles  down Thursday Morning G0002511

who is that handsom devil?
topgroove
topgroove

Back to top Go down

Post  rcdallas Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:58 pm

Damn got enough equipment out there ?? That girls insurance company is going to go bankrupt paying for all that, fo sho.

Which one are you topdevil ? Smile
rcdallas
rcdallas

Back to top Go down

Post  topgroove Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:01 pm

I.m the one on the far right working with the arial cable. I notice im not even in the frame when viewing from my phone.
topgroove
topgroove

Back to top Go down

Post  Highplains Drifter Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:48 pm

That fleet of trucks looks impressive, but I am amazed with all the short sleeve Ts.
Highplains Drifter
Highplains Drifter

Back to top Go down

Post  rcdallas Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:39 pm

Now we have a mug shot. Topdevil--that cable your fixing to catch off, is that the bundled express primary you we're telling me about before?

Short sleeve is the way to go!
rcdallas
rcdallas

Back to top Go down

Post  Highplains Drifter Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:48 pm

rcdallas™ wrote:

Not for work, there is no way I will let an apprentice wear short sleeves. Ask HWT and long sleeves are actually cooler in the heat of summer and keep the perspiration wicked off of your arms. Just my 2cw and opinion.
Highplains Drifter
Highplains Drifter

Back to top Go down

Post  rcdallas Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:56 pm

Highplains Drifter wrote:
rcdallas™️ wrote:

Not for work, there is no way I will let an apprentice wear short sleeves. Ask HWT and long sleeves are actually cooler in the heat of summer and keep the perspiration wicked off of your arms. Just my 2cw and opinion.

I agree with you. I wear long sleeve all the time, now that I'm so accustomed to it that is basically all I wear anymore. Come over here it's 112 right now and get you some Twisted Evil

Hell other day I got my new leather riding jacket in decided to test it out at about 115 wasn't bad at all. Prepping for my touring trip end of month cyclops
rcdallas
rcdallas

Back to top Go down

Post  topgroove Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:27 pm

rcdallas™️ wrote:
Highplains Drifter wrote:
rcdallas™️ wrote:

I agree with you. I wear long sleeve all the time, now that I'm so accustomed to it that is basically all I wear anymore. Come over here it's 112 right now and get you some Twisted Evil

Hell other day I got my new leather riding jacket in decided to test it out at about 115 wasn't bad at all. Prepping for my touring trip end of month cyclops
Yep thats 4/o bundled arial cable that we use for express feeds. Its heavy as hell and not real user friendly when its laying on the ground. We really aren't allowed to wear short sleeves but in this case we had everything dead and grounded and still wore our class two's when handeling the common neutral. It was a 4.16kv wye circuit. I guess It dosen't set a good example for the young guys, but That day I worked harder than a whore in a lumber camp on a friday after payday. We used to do feeder rebuilds and line extensions everyday when I was comming up but it seams todays young utility lineman mostly work single pole changeouts and electric service orders. when the shit hits the fan nobody has that high speed, balls to the wall, gear anymore. Hell, working a handline is a lost art these days. All in all I think everybody did a great job and was one hell of a learning experience for the young guys. What the hell happened? I used to be a young guy! Now I look around and feel like grandpa
topgroove
topgroove

Back to top Go down

Post  hotwiretamer Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:24 am

topgroove wrote:Nine poles  down Thursday Morning G0002511

I only understand half that question Twisted Evil

Drifter is right, back in the day we used to wear short sleeves. Now it's 100% cotton longsleeve minimum, and FR when working on or near energized cable of any voltage.

I layer when I'm in the primary, only because I can't stand the FR shirts we are issued. Cotton longsleeve, and when going in the zone I throw on the FR.

I'm down in Tucson right now helping out, we had 14 dbl circuit 46 with underbuild in the street. Same senario, trucks at every structure.
Nice post Groove!
hotwiretamer
hotwiretamer

http://www.bellsellshavasu.com

Back to top Go down

Post  lewy Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:15 pm

We have to wear long sleeves when climbing or if there is energized conductor on the pole. If the line is grounded & you are in a bucket you can wear short sleeves & leather gloves.

lewy

Back to top Go down

Post  MI-Lineman Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:43 pm

topgroove wrote:Nine poles  down Thursday Morning G0002511

Hmmmm? Suspect Looks like......Greg? Taunting NO WAIT! Mr. B! affraid

Oh OK it's heel! laughing
MI-Lineman
MI-Lineman

Back to top Go down