linemantoolbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Carbon Fiber pole splint

4 posters

Go down

Carbon Fiber pole splint Empty Carbon Fiber pole splint

Post  hotwiretamer Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:49 pm

Our sister company has contracted an outfit to repair an energized wood structure with a carbon fiber coating/sleeve that will run from a couple of feet below ground line up to 10' below bottom phase.
Apparently the pole can't be changed out hot (?) and is on a critical circuit that can not be de-energized. Has anyone been involved in this process?
hotwiretamer
hotwiretamer

http://www.bellsellshavasu.com

Back to top Go down

Carbon Fiber pole splint Empty Re: Carbon Fiber pole splint

Post  Highplains Drifter Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:21 pm

At first when I read your opening post I immediately thought of PhaseRaiser®, http://www.lwsinc.com/phase-raiser/information, but what you are explaining is a complete fiber wrap. I have seen poles that are fiber wrapped below ground level and about six foot above ground line. The ones I have see have a metal sleeve fastened around the fiber glass. Is this something new? 10 foot below the primary wrapped by someone that doesn’t know the dangers lurking above sounds like a possible disaster to me. Post a photo of before and after, I’d like to see it!
Highplains Drifter
Highplains Drifter

Back to top Go down

Post  hotwiretamer Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:10 am

I will definitely post pictures!

I was invited to the "demo" pole when they do it.

I was thinking the same thing as far as close proximity. I would bet
there will be a ton of hands there, as well as Sups. I'm guessing the reason for stopping
ten ft. away is to keep things somewhat legal?? I don't know, but I will keep ya'll posted.
hotwiretamer
hotwiretamer

Back to top Go down

Post  hotwiretamer Tue May 22, 2012 10:14 pm

I finally was able to go and watch the Demo on this. The Reps. they sent were pretty bad!

The first day, all they accomplished was excavating around the pole. The original plan was to go down about 6'. Then they said 5'. When all said and done, I'll bet it wasn't but about 3'!!

Here are a few pics. We didn't get to see the whole demo, as we had already spent two days in Tucson, and they still were messing with it when we left!! $$ savings my ass!!

Carbon Fiber pole splint Carbon10

Carbon Fiber pole splint Carbon11

Carbon Fiber pole splint Carbon12

Carbon Fiber pole splint Carbon13
hotwiretamer
hotwiretamer

Back to top Go down

Post  hotwiretamer Tue May 22, 2012 10:22 pm

Here's a couple of photo's of the pole after it was wrapped. All that was left was to paint it with some UV paint.

Carbon Fiber pole splint Carbon14

Carbon Fiber pole splint Carbon16

I talked to the crews there, and we all agreed that the pole in question could have easily been changed out, at a less expense than engineering made it sound.

It was a vertical DDE, and it was only 46kv, with plenty of room to plant a new pole next to it.

I'm guessing a brother-in-law or something has ties to this Carbon Pole Fiber repair company!!
hotwiretamer
hotwiretamer

Back to top Go down

Post  topgroove Tue May 22, 2012 10:30 pm

Damn, thats kinda like installing a new chadelier in a haunted house... Pointless. Now when the thing breaks it'll break around where the phone is attached. I can see where in certain situations that would be the cats ass.
topgroove
topgroove

Back to top Go down

Post  Highplains Drifter Tue May 22, 2012 10:41 pm

Carbon Fiber pole splint Carbon16

I see an accident in the process there. Holding the pole with a boom truck and just below the primary…..1 the workers are in an uninsulated man lift …..2 No Fire resistance clothing……3 short sleeve shirts…and 4 metallic stickers on the installers hard hat. You need to boom up and make those folks follow your companies Safety Rules before someone gets hurt. Just my 2cw.
Highplains Drifter
Highplains Drifter

Back to top Go down

Post  hotwiretamer Tue May 22, 2012 11:25 pm

I couldn't agree with you more Drifter. Unfortunately TEP has there own Safety Manual, procedures, ETC. We were there to observe the demo, to see if we would want to have this available to us. Not making excuses, but there were dozens of Sups, engineers, and a transmission linecrew on site from our sister company. We were there to see what it was all about.
hotwiretamer
hotwiretamer

Back to top Go down

Post  lewy Wed May 23, 2012 7:20 pm

Show us the top I am curious as I am guessing you are, as to why it can't be changed hot. We have a lot of problems with woodpeckers, would this stuff help?

lewy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down