linemantoolbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Knots and Ropes

+5
Loodvig
hotwiretamer
topgroove
rcdallas
Highplains Drifter
9 posters

Go down

Knots and Ropes Empty Knots and Ropes

Post  Highplains Drifter Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:31 am

Knowing ropes and tying various knots will become a very important part of your career throughout your apprenticeship and as a lineman. Here is a nice web site for knots.

http://www.animatedknots.com

Highplains Drifter
Highplains Drifter

Back to top Go down

Knots and Ropes Empty Re: Knots and Ropes

Post  rcdallas Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:22 pm

I'd say the knots I use are a Bowline, Clovehitch, Square. I do make up eye splices and rosebuds often enough because people steal mine. Suspect
rcdallas
rcdallas

Back to top Go down

Post  topgroove Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:26 pm

OMG... that really use to burn my ass... spending a couple hours making the perfect handline and it grows legs and walks away.
topgroove
topgroove

Back to top Go down

Post  Highplains Drifter Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:54 pm

Timber Hitch is one of my favorite ones….
Highplains Drifter
Highplains Drifter

Back to top Go down

Post  hotwiretamer Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:24 pm

rcdallas wrote:I'd say the knots I use are a Bowline, Clovehitch, Square. I do make up eye splices and rosebuds often enough because people steal mine. Suspect

Definitely the three I use daily. I would add to that a "Monkey Fist". tongue
hotwiretamer
hotwiretamer

http://www.bellsellshavasu.com

Back to top Go down

Post  rcdallas Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:49 am

topgroove wrote:OMG... that really use to burn my ass... spending a couple hours making the perfect handline and it grows legs and walks away.

Don't you just love it...show up on a job and you think "I got this"; then you open your bin and your like WTF!! violent
rcdallas
rcdallas

Back to top Go down

Post  rcdallas Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:50 am

Highplains Drifter wrote:Timber Hitch is one of my favorite ones….

What do you commonly use the timber hitch on? Tag line?
rcdallas
rcdallas

Back to top Go down

Post  Highplains Drifter Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:24 am

rcdallas wrote:

Yes the Timber Hitch is so much simpler then trying to tie a running Bowline, especially in rubber gloves.
Highplains Drifter
Highplains Drifter

Back to top Go down

Post  Loodvig Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:11 pm

Highplains Drifter wrote:
rcdallas wrote:

Yes the Timber Hitch is so much simpler then trying to tie a running Bowline, especially in rubber gloves.

Plus the timber Hitch is easy for the man in the air to untie!

Loodvig

Back to top Go down

Knots and Ropes Empty The Timberhitch..........

Post  johnbellamy Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:23 am

Has been outlawed in these parts for years, not saying it isn't still used, I like it for pole sets with ropes, for wreck out on structures to give the pole a little direction when falling it, works good on tree's also, I used it alot to help skid poles in or out of locations.

It has it's uses, right place right time, but if caught using it in any accident senerio, you will get it for improper rigging.
johnbellamy
johnbellamy

Back to top Go down

Post  hotwiretamer Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:31 am

johnbellamy wrote:Has been outlawed in these parts for years, not saying it isn't still used, I like it for pole sets with ropes, for wreck out on structures to give the pole a little direction when falling it, works good on tree's also, I used it alot to help skid poles in or out of locations.

It has it's uses, right place right time, but if caught using it in any accident senerio, you will get it for improper rigging.

Good to know, John!
hotwiretamer
hotwiretamer

Back to top Go down

Post  MI-Lineman Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:23 pm

Grapevine (FAVORITE!), Grunts knot (second but not used as much? Sad ), bowline on a bight, running bowline, bowline, clove, timber, square, half's, slips, and the taughtline (when someone talks me into takin a tree down for a dirty thirty! Embarassed )!

I've never heard of the Timber havin issues unless you tie a half hitch next to it? Some in trees used to try this when "butt checking" but it restricts the timber from bighting?

Instead of the ol "If ya can't tie a knot tie a lot" phrase try "you better KNOT tie that again!" laughing My buddie used that on me once and I just about died laughin!!
MI-Lineman
MI-Lineman

Back to top Go down

Post  Loodvig Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:22 pm

I worked with a guy who always said "a single tight is better than a double loose".

Loodvig

Back to top Go down

Knots and Ropes Empty Just.......

Post  johnbellamy Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:35 pm

Noteing, the timberhitch is not rated for rigging, I have never had an issue, just have to keep under strain, or it can loosen, just like with any knot, would you bet your life on it? A timberhitch, probably "KNOT". laughing
johnbellamy
johnbellamy

Back to top Go down

Post  MI-Lineman Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:17 pm

johnbellamy wrote:Noteing, the timberhitch is not rated for rigging, I have never had an issue, just have to keep under strain, or it can loosen, just like with any knot, would you bet your life on it? A timberhitch, probably "KNOT". laughing

In Linework I was taught the Timber hitch was for pulling or dragging! Like dragging poles not rigging like you said!
MI-Lineman
MI-Lineman

Back to top Go down

Knots and Ropes Empty Grapevine

Post  rcdallas Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:47 pm

Are ya'll calling the grapevine the one where you wrap it 4-5 times around say a service and hook the end back onto it self where you can sag it?

I use that a lot to. I got to thinking one day when sagging some 4/0 pole to pole to do the grapevine then about 5' out do a bowline in a bight. Get the guy on the ground to pull it up on a handline then when the bowline in the bight get's near I hook it with my hoist and finish the sag. Works nice.

rcdallas
rcdallas

Back to top Go down

Post  Highplains Drifter Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:49 pm

rcdallas wrote:Are ya'll calling the grapevine the one where you wrap it 4-5 times around say a service and hook the end back onto it self where you can sag it?

I use that a lot to. I got to thinking one day when sagging some 4/0 pole to pole to do the grapevine then about 5' out do a bowline in a bight. Get the guy on the ground to pull it up on a handline then when the bowline in the bight get's near I hook it with my hoist and finish the sag. Works nice.

I call a Grapevine when on small wire you actually place the wire in the middle of the rope and wrap it 4 or 5 times. It is a temporary fix until you get the right rigging. The knot you describe is more of a cinch knot and I have seen that knot not used properly like on control cable, damage the wires under the insulation. I use your knot to maybe get the triplex to the man, but 4/0 is fairly big triplex and weights a lot when sagged. I myself would use a wire grip on any triplex over #4.
Highplains Drifter
Highplains Drifter

Back to top Go down

Post  MI-Lineman Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:40 pm

Highplains Drifter wrote:
rcdallas wrote:Are ya'll calling the grapevine the one where you wrap it 4-5 times around say a service and hook the end back onto it self where you can sag it?

I call a Grapevine when on small wire you actually place the wire in the middle of the rope and wrap it 4 or 5 times. It is a temporary fix until you get the right rigging. The knot you describe is more of a cinch knot and I have seen that knot not used properly like on control cable, damage the wires under the insulation. I use your knot to maybe get the triplex to the man, but 4/0 is fairly big triplex and weights a lot when sagged. I myself would use a wire grip on any triplex over #4.

It'll peel the jacket off urd primary! Peeled the coating off the hot legs on a 150' of 1/0 AWAC trplx! I too use it mainly for lighter loads and a lot of times I'll tie it temp to a span of larger trplx or maybe communications to temp back up n arm from raking around! Also use it once and a while to temp catch off a bull rope! Works awesome for pulling posts though! Like anything else ya gotta use your head when your using it?
MI-Lineman
MI-Lineman

Back to top Go down

Knots and Ropes Empty Eye splice

Post  BC_boy Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:50 pm

Just made my first self taught eye splice, these videos were very helpful.

Came out alright, could've paid a little more attention to pulling everything tight but not bad for a first try I think
BC_boy
BC_boy

Back to top Go down

Knots and Ropes Empty pic

Post  BC_boy Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:52 pm

Knots and Ropes Eye_sp11
BC_boy
BC_boy

Back to top Go down

Post  hotwiretamer Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:10 am

Get some 1/4" rope, about 8', and put an eye splice on one end. Then take it to your foreman or instructor and have him
install an eye on the other end. Now, secure one eye on a clevis and attach it to the back of a truck or something, and put
a clevis on the other eye and put a hoist on it. Keep coming up on the hoist until the rope gives up! See if your eye holds up
better/longer than your foreman/instructor. If not, keep trying!!
hotwiretamer
hotwiretamer

Back to top Go down

Post  rcdallas Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:41 am

Boy I'm getting dust up on my memory slot here...I think a proper eyesplice is good for 90% of the rope rating.

BC: when your tucking over and under on your splice once you get two or so tucks put it in the palm of your hands and roll it back and forth and it'll tighten them up. Good job on your first...took me a little while to grasp the concept of it. What did it for me was going out and buying about 80' of rope and making them one after another. Very Happy
rcdallas
rcdallas

Back to top Go down

Post  Highplains Drifter Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:56 am

Young man, there is nothing wrong with trying to teach your self some new things. In the Video he did not clarify what he was going to use the eye splice on. To start with I did not like the way he started his splice, rope is right lay and myself I have the rope laying opposite of his. And he proved his point, look at 2:06 minutes in the second video and you can see he has one strand going over two strands. When I do mine I weave the top two under one strand and turn the splice over, on the back side you will see two strands that you must weave. Now when I teach this I do call that opening the “Pussy Lips”

Now if I counted correctly he wove his eye four tucks. Three are enough and I teach a tapered splice: 3 tucks on one strand, 4 tucks on one strand and 5 tucks on one strand. With this tapered eye splice you can actually pull the splice into a block. He missed one very important step and after you are done with your splice you must seed it by laying it on the ground and rolling it with your foot. This tightens it up. Oh yeah forget the tape…..I like to see what a splice looks like and tape hides it.

And the challenge to you is make your woven strands straight and not candy caned like in the video…good Luck!
Highplains Drifter
Highplains Drifter

Back to top Go down

Post  CanadianLineman Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:29 am

I have never had an issue with a timber hitch, even used in rigging. I was taught, in boy scouts even, to use a half hitch in front of it if strain is heavy but, like a clove hitch, don't use where the strain is likely to come completely slack several times.

I rely on a number of knots: bowline, bowline-in-a-bite, clove hitch, cow hitch, timber hitch, round turn and 2 half hitches, half hitch. running bowline, 3 ring knot. sheep bend, running hitch, blackwall hitch, improved sheep bend, figure 8 knot, rolling hitch and a few I learned while working with mountain climbers in Scotland. At times only one of them will do. I have even had the occasion to use a sheep shank cutting the slack line to retrieve the rope after the job is done.

I agree with you on spicing three strand rope HP, about finishing it off in a taper and no tape.

i also like to splice braided rope both single and two part or Sampson. When younger everywhere I went when it was learned I could splice braided I sometimes ended up spending a lot of time in a shop making up slings heavy hand lines and winch lines - not to mention tow ropes out of the old braid - which was a real task.
CanadianLineman
CanadianLineman

http://www.shotgunsbc.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum