linemantoolbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Unexpected help

3 posters

Go down

Unexpected help Empty Unexpected help

Post  rcdallas Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:36 pm

I'm glad to know that the folks I work with have my back and are willing to help. In a trouble perspective the best I've heard it's a catch 22. When I'm out working a line fuse suppression I don't want any help until I ask for it or at least be told hey I'm in your area fixing to give you a hand.

I just see the invitations for potential trouble if someone else is assisting you on a line fuse if you don't know about it. Granted you tag the fuse coordination and everything and cover you bases.....

Nothing went wrong I just addressed it immediately.

Some think a trouble guy just sit around and lolly gag but I tell you what; here at least you do a lot of things-involving talk to the public, working with public safety, a lawyer preparing reports, making crucial time crunching decisions on the spot....the list goes on and on......
rcdallas
rcdallas

Back to top Go down

Unexpected help Empty Re: Unexpected help

Post  MI-Lineman Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:34 pm

I'm confused? Did someone end up on your circuit you were patrolling? Here our dispatch is supposed to keep control of where everyone goes?

Need more info? scratch
MI-Lineman
MI-Lineman

Back to top Go down

Post  rcdallas Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:32 am

Na, kinda like a kid with a scanner following where the cops are to see whats going on. With our technological system it's kind of like a video game--you can see where everyone is and you can look up where the outages are, how many customers affected, etc, etc, etc...

Basically the other guy just seen I had a line fuse and where it was at and just showed up without giving me a heads up.

I always make every attempt possible to call over the radio saying I'm fixing to close in so and so, but sometimes the radio/cell might not have a signal. I know the guy wouldn't of got himself in a position of potential trouble, but I just assume don't put yourself in that place.
rcdallas
rcdallas

Back to top Go down

Post  MI-Lineman Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:21 pm

OK? What a co-worker though? I wouldn't and couldn't make a move to help someone without dispatch knowing and sending me a job over my device! Shocked
MI-Lineman
MI-Lineman

Back to top Go down

Post  lewy Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:12 am

This is more of an issue with your work protection code I would think. Any time someone is working on a grounded line it has to be tagged & I would think the controlling authority notified. For us we need a work permit before we can work on a de-energized line. We also have to let our system operators know before we close any line switch & we have to first sign off the permit as well as any one else who might be on it.

lewy

Back to top Go down

Post  MI-Lineman Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:59 pm

As a service worker I can't make repairs to primary but I think where RC works he can do some? I only run out the line although in the day light I can foot patrol which wouldn't be a good thing if someone else shows up and decides to take matters into their own hands? :afraid: Lewy brings up a good point in regards for those who actually would be working on the line? Our crews don't have to ground under 5k lines but they would still caution tag for their protection and now they have this nifty little sign that bungees around the pole warning their are workers down stream of the device!
MI-Lineman
MI-Lineman

Back to top Go down

Post  rcdallas Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:28 am

We can work up to 600 volts by ourselves but as far as primary goes I can switch / ground / lift primary jumpers with a shotgun other then that....nope. Now I think it may be the APS (Arizona Public Service) contract I read over 2 years ago where during an emergency such as life threatening you can by yourself do what you need to do to make safe, and I believe that is covered in OSHA 1910.269 as well.

Any primary work you must have someone else act as an observer which must be qualified to do the work themselves.
rcdallas
rcdallas

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum