linemantoolbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Network systems

2 posters

Go down

Network systems Empty Network systems

Post  Woodwalker128 Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:15 pm

I saw that there was a post earlier on changing out a network bank. The area I work in is mostly rural and has nothing like that. My understanding is that consumers are never out of power when networking is used. I have been told that networking can be very complicated, but can anyone give a simple explanation of how it works?

Woodwalker128

Back to top Go down

Network systems Empty Re: Network systems

Post  topgroove Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:39 pm

It gets really complicated and not all electric utility companies are alike, but here's a simple explaination.

each transformer is connected to the secondary mains through an automatic network protector, which not only trips on current from the network but also has an automatic reclosing feature. A fault (on the radial primary feeder cable) causes the feeder breaker (at the substation) to open from excess current and all of the network protectors (on that feeder) to open because of reverse power-flow from the network. The entire feeder, and its associated transformer banks, is thus removed from service, with the load being carried by the remaining primary feeders and adjacent transformer banks. When the feeder cable has been repaired, all network protectors (on that feeder) will automatically reclose when the substation feeder circuit breaker is closed (providing voltage and phase relationships are correct.)
topgroove
topgroove

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum