linemantoolbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tick Removal

+2
EL
Highplains Drifter
6 posters

Go down

Tick Removal Empty Tick Removal

Post  Highplains Drifter Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:43 pm

If you find a tick attached to your skin, there's no need to panic. There are several tick removal devices on the market, but a plain set of fine-tipped tweezers will remove a tick quite effectively.

1.Use fine-tipped tweezers to grasp the tick as close to the skin's surface as possible.

2.Pull upward with steady, even pressure. Don't twist or jerk the tick; this can cause the mouth-parts to break off and remain in the skin. If this happens, remove the mouth-parts with tweezers. If you are unable to remove the mouth easily with clean tweezers, leave it alone and let the skin heal.

3.After removing the tick, thoroughly clean the bite area and your hands with rubbing alcohol, an iodine scrub, or soap and water.

If you develop a rash or fever within several weeks of removing a tick, see your doctor. Be sure to tell the doctor about your recent tick bite, when the bite occurred, and where you most likely acquired the tick.

Avoid folklore remedies such as "painting" the tick with nail polish or petroleum jelly, or using heat to make the tick detach from the skin. Your goal is to remove the tick as quickly as possible--not waiting for it to detach.

Highplains Drifter
Highplains Drifter

Back to top Go down

Tick Removal Empty Re: Tick Removal

Post  EL Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:00 pm

We were given "tick keys" at work, looks a lot like a key, put it over tick and pull tick at small opening. Ticks are really bad in PA this year. affraid
EL
EL

Back to top Go down

Post  topgroove Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:56 pm

I hate ticks, I must have tickaphobea, lime disease is common around here with our heavy deer population.
topgroove
topgroove

Back to top Go down

Post  CanadianLineman Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:46 pm

We just put a little lighter fluid on the tick are and light it. If the tick won't back out on first application apply as often as necessary. It usually only takes a maximum of 3 application.

Just Kidding - DON'T TRY THIS!!
CanadianLineman
CanadianLineman

http://www.shotgunsbc.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  rcdallas Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:49 pm

Becky; I'd like to see a picture of this key.

Ken; damn dude my screen was centered just right. I read your lighter fluid post 4 times going WTF? I then scroll down a little more....you joker!

rcdallas
rcdallas

Back to top Go down

Tick Removal Empty Ticks?

Post  wtdoor67 Wed May 02, 2012 12:35 pm

Don't get to technical on ticks. I was reared where there was an abundance of them. Never had one where it was any trouble to remove. We just plucked them off and crushed them on our thumb nails. Had several sizes locally. Seed ticks (very small), yearlings ( a little bigger) and several larger ones including the lone star tick (has a big white spot on it). Also deer ticks (the Lyme carrier). Very distinctive as they had a tear drop shaped body and seem to be out almost year around. I've picked them off when the weather was below freezing. In Wyo. and Neb. they almost always referred to them as Sheep ticks but I think they were deer ticks. Used to get a few of them on me when working there but nothing to compare to SE Okla.

If you want a quick education on ticks, come to SE Okla. about July and August and we'll go for a stroll in the woods. Can probably show you all sizes. You'll have fun picking them off.

Chiggers (redbugs) are the worse. Miserable bites and of course very itchy. Pick some wild black berries, you'll find out.

wtdoor67

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum