linemantoolbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

shut it down

+2
hotwiretamer
rcdallas
6 posters

Go down

shut it down Empty shut it down

Post  rcdallas Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:32 am

rolling down the road today and came across the sign company encroaching beyond the legal limits we have here.....he asked me to ignore what i saw....ummmmmmmmmmmm noooooo!

shut it down Photo310
rcdallas
rcdallas

Back to top Go down

shut it down Empty Re: shut it down

Post  hotwiretamer Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:10 am

He's definitely within his 10'!

Crazy crane operators!!
hotwiretamer
hotwiretamer

http://www.bellsellshavasu.com

Back to top Go down

Post  rcdallas Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:15 am

You have 10' there to? I wasn't sure if that was a state law or federal...they have a deal where if they want to work in the 10' limits we have to de-energize and ground the line...that line happened to be a main line circuit. The deal is 48 hour notice and they pay the actual cost for us to do what we have to do to make it safe for them.....went back by there earlier tonight and seen he didnt try and pull a fast one.

I guess it's 10' for equipment and 6' for a worker.
rcdallas
rcdallas

Back to top Go down

Post  Highplains Drifter Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:29 am

That is too close, shut them down.
Highplains Drifter
Highplains Drifter

Back to top Go down

Post  hotwiretamer Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:27 am

That's federal on the 10'.

We used to cover up for them, and apparently that's a big no-no. Kinda like admitting that it is too dangerous, and then covering it and saying it is now safe. Same thing here now, they pay to have us move or de-energize, whatever even if we have to build a shoe-fly, they pay the costs.
hotwiretamer
hotwiretamer

Back to top Go down

Post  Pat McGroin Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:00 pm

I believe the new law for cranes from OSHA is 25' affraid
Pat McGroin
Pat McGroin

Back to top Go down

Post  hotwiretamer Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:02 pm

Pat McGroin wrote:I believe the new law for cranes from OSHA is 25' affraid

That ought to help the work load!!
hotwiretamer
hotwiretamer

Back to top Go down

shut it down Empty Two contacts..........

Post  johnbellamy Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:04 am

In my area in the last year,1 concrete truck snorkel, and one trac-hoe, no injuries, 1 fatality at a place I used to work, crane got its load line into the primary, fried the guy on the ground moving a steel beam on a construction site.

All they have to do is call, but they don't.
johnbellamy
johnbellamy

Back to top Go down

shut it down Empty To call costs money

Post  rcdallas Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:58 pm

Oil Rig moves I've seen them carry their own long stick, eh? Evil or Very Mad

What are you doin? scratch
rcdallas
rcdallas

Back to top Go down

shut it down Empty Oil Fields..........

Post  johnbellamy Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:54 pm

I do not deal with them, when I read the situations and odd set-ups, I wonder who line is it? Is it the utilities, or the oil companys, and your utility has a contract with them to maintain it?, or niether?

I can see where this will continue to be a reaccuring problem, as far as working for a utility, we will do whatever is needed to secure and maintain clearances, we will cover, move, denergize test and ground, depends on what is needed, but we have to be aware of the condition, if I come across one that is unsafe, I shut it down, remind them whos lines those are, and the required 10' clearance.

The area I cover now has a windmill site, there is a road that crosses under the line, somebody before me put a couple guy gaurds on the neutral, so I figured it had been tore down before, I had an opreration on a field reclosure, low amps, center phase to neutral, so I checked the fault indicators at the bottom of the hill where the tap line went up the hill, sure enough center phase was blinking, so I drove up the hill and saw where a crane had been driven under the line to work on a wind tower, I suspect they are doing the same thing, and they pushed the neut into center phase, but I cannot prove it, if I catch them, its their ass.

Anyway, good luck.
johnbellamy
johnbellamy

Back to top Go down

Post  topgroove Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:21 pm

A few miles from me there is a harbor on Lake Ontario. Wilson Harbor. One summer we had a sailboat from Toronto that wanted to tie-up for the night. The only space available was a spot way down at the end and it had to get under our primary and neutral.

This sailboat had to cost every bit of one million dollars. The owner sent some young kid up the mast to push the neutral up with a wooden stick. Thank god he didn't push the neutral into one of the phases! It did get away from the kid and one of the boats mast lights was damaged. She tried to file a claim!
topgroove
topgroove

Back to top Go down

shut it down Empty One death..........

Post  johnbellamy Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:57 am

Was a guy who kept getting cut for no pay, so finally the serviceman got out an extendo and opened the cut-out door on the pot, the guy watched him so he made a homemade longstick of his own, problem was he made it out metal pipe, closed it in, dead, gene pool I guess. Question
johnbellamy
johnbellamy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum