linemantoolbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Man killed.

4 posters

Go down

Man killed. Empty Man killed.

Post  wtdoor67 Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:06 pm

OG&E had a 22 yr. old man killed Saturday. No details yet, will post it when I find out.

wtdoor67

Back to top Go down

Man killed. Empty Re: Man killed.

Post  topgroove Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:22 pm

Damn.... Mad 22 years old! WTF what the hell has happened with the trade.
topgroove
topgroove

Back to top Go down

Post  CanadianLineman Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:15 am

Greed of the utilities, contractors and our government officials.
CanadianLineman
CanadianLineman

http://www.shotgunsbc.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  topgroove Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:11 am

OG&E said Saturday it was "deeply saddened" by the death of an employee who died on the job.

In a short message on its Twitter account,OG&E said Ronnie "Chance" Hobson suffered a fatal injury while working in Mustang. The short message also offered prayer's to Hobson's family.

The accident occurred Saturday around 2 p.m. near S.W. 15th Street and Sara Road. The electricity company has not released any information about the fatality
topgroove
topgroove

Back to top Go down

Post  topgroove Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:06 pm

UKON, Okla.—A tragic accident claims the life of a 22-year-old OG&E employee Saturday afternoon.

Few details are being released on exactly what happened but we’re told the worker’s name was Ronnie Hobson.

Crews were called to the area of S.W. 15 th St. and Sara Rd. after witnesses say the man might have been electrocuted by a transformer.

Glenn Kellum said, “I was driving by and I saw a guy leaning in the transformer box and there was a couple already over here looking in. I guess he got electrocuted or something. When I drove back by is when I saw the fire truck, ambulance and the cops.”

OG&E officials say they are still investigating the accident and will not release any details until the case is closed.

However, they sent out a message via Twitter Saturday evening.

The statement said, “We are deeply saddened today by the loss of Ronnie “Chance” Hobson who suffered a fatal injury
topgroove
topgroove

Back to top Go down

Man killed. Empty No word yet.

Post  wtdoor67 Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:25 pm

He was an apprentice meterman I was told. Too young to die.

wtdoor67

Back to top Go down

Post  topgroove Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:39 pm

is a 22 year old kid with a little over a year in the company qualified to be working in a padmount transformer? Here at grid you must be a qualified journey man. No wonder og&e is keeping this one under wraps. Ronnie leaves behind a wife and two young children. Rest in peace bro.[code][i]

Last edited by topgroove on Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
topgroove
topgroove

Back to top Go down

Post  topgroove Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:46 pm

I hate to speculate, but you think he was hooking up a service in a padmount?
topgroove
topgroove

Back to top Go down

Post  lewy Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:09 pm

What is a meterman never mind an apprentice doing in an energized transformer?

lewy

Back to top Go down

Post  topgroove Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:53 pm

I agree with you Lewy! I realize we don't have any facts yet, but, from what the eyewitness said ,,,,,, the whole thing sounds kinda bizzare. I got a feeling a formal statement from OG&E wont be comming anytime soon.
topgroove
topgroove

Back to top Go down

Post  CanadianLineman Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:57 am

There is a big problem in our industry. After years of neglecting training and apprenticeships, the companies find it mush less expensive to try and poach trained linemen from other companies, we have had a spate of young and inexperienced electrical workers encouraged to exceed their skill levels. They don't have the experience or training or where with all to know when they have reached the point when they are in way over their heads and then it is way too late.

This has been going on for years. I remember one accident report on a fatal incident where a "pre-apprentice driver" (what ever the hell that is) climbed a pole to install a cutout bracket. The pole he was on was a new set about a metre (3') from the old pole and the new cutout bracket was at approximate the same height as the existing cut-out that fed a transformer - still hot. When the pre-apprentice driver was hammering in the lag to secure the new CO bracket he made contact with the CO or drop lead on the other pole. Dead.

The accident report actually said he was using climbing equipment the others on the crew didn't know he had even though he had worked on the crew for about 6 months. Conclusion - the pre-apprentice driver died from his own misadventure. 2 or 3 members of the crew were within 10 feet of the pole when the kid died yet all claimed, according to the accident report, they never saw him climb the pole or install the CO bracket.

AS long as our trade pulls this kind of shoddy work practices, and it goes on in many places union or otherwise, we will keep reading stories like this over and over and over and .......

BTW this incident was on an IBEW job.

CanadianLineman
CanadianLineman

http://www.shotgunsbc.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down