linemantoolbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Latest fall restraint rumor

4 posters

Go down

Latest fall restraint rumor Empty Latest fall restraint rumor

Post  rcdallas Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:22 pm

The latest I heard is that beginning 1st of 2013 there will be mandatory fall restraint. Saddle up your pole choker. Anyone else here this?

Time to retire the hooks and move to a truck accessible easement area.
rcdallas
rcdallas

Back to top Go down

Latest fall restraint rumor Empty Re: Latest fall restraint rumor

Post  mhuntsm Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:17 pm

They been telling us it was coming ever since they mandated the buck squeeze here in around 08. We all thought they were just telling us that so we would shut up about it, but it may come to pass. There is a lineman collage here for co op boys and last I talked to the instructors there they haven't heard anything about it.

mhuntsm

Back to top Go down

Post  rcdallas Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:41 am

Last I heard with Entergy they grandfathered the journeymen; apes we're stuck with them. I know it's coming; sound like a broken record but this ain't no coop country pole sand box around here where all it has is a 2 wire telephone drop on it. Maybe they can mandate the cable tv rats to do a better job at putting less clutter on the way up.

40 extension ladder with hooks on it looks like a simple fix.

I'll say I've seen some improvements with them but they aint quite perfected it.

1st of the year lets see!
rcdallas
rcdallas

Back to top Go down

Post  hotwiretamer Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:53 am

I haven't heard that either.

I did hear that it is now mandatory that you cust wear fall restraint 100% when working on towers.

Is this new, or has it been that way awhile??
hotwiretamer
hotwiretamer

http://www.bellsellshavasu.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mhuntsm Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:31 am

There was no grandfathering took place, its 100% fall protaction here. Its not to bad on new poles, but you get on an old backlot pole that the catv and phone guy has been up alot, open wire sec to get over, things like the stapels working their way out of the pole ground to hang you up, telephone steps, and my personal favorite some of the old poles with bird wire wraped around them from top to bottom. It will wear you out. I don't like not being able to step around the pole like you can with a leather safety either. It don't want to slide around the pole, you almost always have to have you hands on the belt and work it around the pole as you step. I think my generation took to it a little better, I am 29 been in the trade 8 years, but the older guys really felt like they took part of the craft away form us, and they let management know about it and still do. I think us younger folks just grin and bear it cause we know there is nothing we can do about it and we are just proud to have a job.

mhuntsm

Back to top Go down

Post  CanadianLineman Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:01 pm

100% fall arrest - buck squeeze, 2 pole straps or whatever!!

Ground to ground - lock to lock rubber!!

High-vis FR clothing!!!

#6 CU hooks outlawed!!!!

Too many useless rules. I'm glad I'm out!! What Crap!!!

SR
CanadianLineman
CanadianLineman

http://www.shotgunsbc.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  hotwiretamer Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:18 pm

I still cuss everytime a climb. Instead of free climbing over all the bullshit. now your bucking up to it trying to see how far you can throw up your second safety so that you can free climb over all the bullshit with the illusion that you can't fall more than 2'.
hotwiretamer
hotwiretamer

Back to top Go down

Post  rcdallas Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:05 pm

CanadianLineman wrote:100% fall arrest - buck squeeze, 2 pole straps or whatever!!

Ground to ground - lock to lock rubber!!

High-vis FR clothing!!!

#6 CU hooks outlawed!!!!

Too many useless rules. I'm glad I'm out!! What Crap!!!

SR

LOL you dirty dawg Ken Gun Draw
rcdallas
rcdallas

Back to top Go down

Post  rcdallas Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:09 pm

hotwiretamer wrote:I still cuss everytime a climb. Instead of free climbing over all the bullshit. now your bucking up to it trying to see how far you can throw up your second safety so that you can free climb over all the bullshit with the illusion that you can't fall more than 2'.

Ya know I never had a chance to operate with one of those secondary adjustable rope lanyards that suckinham makes...had to use a regular strap to get over obstacles and that wasn't pleasant. Hope the companies plan on buying 4 D-Ring belts for everybody or at least an extra 2 D-Ring gut strap to work with my existing belt. Them things get a little cluttered.

mhuntsm:

what are ya'll using? Rope lanyard, 4 D-ring belts, etc, etc ?
rcdallas
rcdallas

Back to top Go down

Post  mhuntsm Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:10 pm

I am using my same belt with the rope. Some guys got the retractable lanyard. They will allow us to use the rope as a safety as long as we are not 2ft above something that will catch us. So if I am above something I will unhook the bucksqueeze from the pole and let it hang from my d rings or sometimes, if the bucksqueeze can't slide down the pole, I have left it on the pole and unhook it from my d rings.
One of the guys I work with got a 4 d ring belt and I have used it some and I don't think it is any better except maybe a little easier to hook and unhook the secondary safety in class2 gloves.

mhuntsm

Back to top Go down

Post  hotwiretamer Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:54 pm

I use an adjustable rope lanyard with a Jelco. Once I'm above something that will prevent a fall (to the ground) I just un-clip the chocker and use the Jelco like a regular buck strap. The adjustable rope is nice cuz you can throw it over a few obstacles at a time, and then free climb around it.
hotwiretamer
hotwiretamer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down