linemantoolbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

check out the Super Moon tonight

5 posters

Go down

check  out  the  Super  Moon  tonight Empty check out the Super Moon tonight

Post  topgroove Sat May 05, 2012 8:54 pm

The Moon will seem especially big and bright since it will reach its closest spot to Earth at the same time it is in its full phase, NASA said.

The Moon "is a 'super Moon,' as much as 14 percent bigger and 30 percent brighter than other full Moons of 2012," it said in a statement.

The scientific term for the phenomenon is "perigee moon." The Moon follows an elliptical path around Earth with one side, or perigee, about 31,000 miles closer than the other, or apogee.

The Moon will reach perigee at 11:34 p.m. EDT (0334 GMT on Sunday). One minute later, it will line up with the Earth and the Sun to become full.

The last perigee Moon was on March 19, 2011, when it was about 250 miles closer than Saturday's.

A perigee full Moon can bring tides that are higher than normal but only by an inch or so (a few centimeters). The effect can be amplified by local geography, but only by about six inches.

The light from the perigee Moon will wash out all but the brightest fireballs from the springtime Eta Aquarid meteor shower, NASA said. From 40 to 60 meteors from the shower normally can be seen each hour.

The Eta Aquarid meteors make up the debris trail of Halley's Comet, which passes by Earth every 76 years.

topgroove
topgroove

Back to top Go down

check  out  the  Super  Moon  tonight Empty Re: check out the Super Moon tonight

Post  hotwiretamer Sat May 05, 2012 9:19 pm

That would be 9:34 MDT, and 8:34 MST, right Dave?

I gotta let the kids know to let the grandkids stay up and see the moon rise!!

It's bad ass out here in AZ!!
hotwiretamer
hotwiretamer

http://www.bellsellshavasu.com

Back to top Go down

check  out  the  Super  Moon  tonight Empty Re: check out the Super Moon tonight

Post  EL Sat May 05, 2012 11:37 pm

I was hoping I would get a chance to see it, was super cloudy most of the day, but cleared up pretty nice in the late afternoon. The moon was gorgeous tonite, surrounded by some small wispy clouds here...I am a moon watcher anyways so tonite was extra nice. Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven
EL
EL

Back to top Go down

Post  CanadianLineman Sun May 06, 2012 2:01 am

10:00 PM Vancouver. I has been shitty and cloudy all week here, but tonight it is clear. The Moon is huge and very bright. I wished I was up in the interior someplace with no city lights. There are lights all around us and the Moon is still impressive but up country it must be really something. I remember being able to ride a motorcycle at night in the summer during full moon and you could turn your lights out and still see very well.

Cheers all. Very Happy
CanadianLineman
CanadianLineman

http://www.shotgunsbc.ca

Back to top Go down

check  out  the  Super  Moon  tonight Empty Here is the moon shot

Post  BATTMAN Wed May 09, 2012 12:13 pm

Moon shot after taken 7,200 and a 45 foot fall with broken back and 3 months recover. I can bend over again End of Job 1981.

check  out  the  Super  Moon  tonight You_ca10
Attachments
check  out  the  Super  Moon  tonight Attachment
You Can Kiss.jpg MOON OVER KANSASYou don't have permission to download attachments.(42 Kb) Downloaded 2 times
BATTMAN
BATTMAN

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=hpskip

Back to top Go down

Post  hotwiretamer Fri May 11, 2012 12:51 am

BATTMAN wrote:Moon shot after taken 7,200 and a 45 foot fall with broken back and 3 months recover. I can bend over again End of Job 1981.

check  out  the  Super  Moon  tonight You_ca10

That thing looks pretty abused Battman!! What a Face laughing
hotwiretamer
hotwiretamer

http://www.bellsellshavasu.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum