Padmount Types

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Padmount Types

Post  rcdallas on Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:54 pm

Attached below are some images of the two different types of padmount transformers--Type 1 and Type 2.

Type 1 is where the bushing well inserts are up top at equal height and a Type 2 is where it is staggered; 1 high and 1 low. I always remembered it as Type 2 for two low.

Type I

Type II

Back to top Go down

Re: Padmount Types

Post  admin on Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:19 pm

Type two is what we use hereo

admin
Admin

http://linemantoolbox.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  hotwiretamer on Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:34 pm

admin wrote:Type two is what we use hereo

We use type two also. I hate it when someone installs the conduit directly under H1A! Then they terminate it with no slack to get it on the stand off.

We try and bring in the conduit to the right side of the pot, making it easier to move the elbows to the standoff position when needed.
hotwiretamer

http://www.bellsellshavasu.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Smitty57 on Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:26 am

What types of bases are you using? Vault,flat pad or fiberglass pad vault.

Smitty57

Back to top Go down

Post  topgroove on Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:32 am

here at Grid we use the fiberglass pad vault. I hate when homeowners plant those shrubs around them to hide them. Most of my troublework is at night so sometimes its a real bitch to find the padmount your looking for.
when I install one I like to shape up the #2 copper on the tank grounds to make a ground bussbar.
topgroove

Back to top Go down

Post  hotwiretamer on Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:36 am

We use the fiberglass ground sleeves, but keep a stock of the Quazite pads for change outs in areas the a ground sleeve won't fit. The ground sleeves need a pretty big area to install, and make it difficult to use in crowded areas.
hotwiretamer

Back to top Go down

Post  lewy on Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:01 pm

We use a concrete vault on top of granular A crushed rock, we then have a concrete pad on top of that. We also have 2 ground rods with 1/0 copper wrapped around the vault.

lewy

Back to top Go down

Post  hotwiretamer on Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:29 pm

lewy wrote:We use a concrete vault on top of granular A crushed rock, we then have a concrete pad on top of that. We also have 2 ground rods with 1/0 copper wrapped around the vault.

Damn Lewy, that sounds like a lot of work for a single phase padmount. What's the reasoning for that type of construction?
hotwiretamer

Back to top Go down

Post  Highplains Drifter on Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:03 pm

Learn something new, I did not know that “Clam Shells” where called “TypeI & TypeII” I always assumed it changed because of larger KVA ratings.
Highplains Drifter

Back to top Go down

Post  lewy on Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:32 pm

hotwiretamer wrote:
lewy wrote:We use a concrete vault on top of granular A crushed rock, we then have a concrete pad on top of that. We also have 2 ground rods with 1/0 copper wrapped around the vault.

Damn Lewy, that sounds like a lot of work for a single phase padmount. What's the reasoning for that type of construction?
All of the civil work is paid by the developer & that is the standard we demand. If we are fixing an old leaker we will build it this way, there is lots of room & they last.

lewy

Back to top Go down

Post  hotwiretamer on Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:34 pm

lewy wrote:
hotwiretamer wrote:

All of the civil work is paid by the developer & that is the standard we demand. If we are fixing an old leaker we will build it this way, there is lots of room & they last.

That's a damn nice Standard. At our company our standard is; Tell them our standard, and when they squirm or bitch about the price, we let them do whatever the hell they want. Probably a "Red State" thing. Nothings worse than telling a builder or customer that they can't do it that way and then have your sup. call you and tell you to go ahead with it!
hotwiretamer

Back to top Go down

Post  lewy on Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:23 pm

hotwiretamer wrote:
lewy wrote:
hotwiretamer wrote:

That's a damn nice Standard. At our company our standard is; Tell them our standard, and when they squirm or bitch about the price, we let them do whatever the hell they want. Probably a "Red State" thing. Nothings worse than telling a builder or customer that they can't do it that way and then have your sup. call you and tell you to go ahead with it!
We have to have standards which we come up with in house which are approved by our head engineer. All utilities in Ontario have to have a both O.H. & U.G. Standards for new construction that is approved by an engineer, after that E.S.A. (the same people that inspect all new electrical hookups in Ontario) will randomly inspect our work to make sure we build it to the standards that we say we will, if we don't we have to go back & change it, so customers can not ask us to change something to save money.

lewy

Back to top Go down

Post  rcdallas on Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:00 pm

That's a pretty good thing I guess with the standards. If everything is built that way including going back with taller poles instead of this cheat here cheat there. Supervisor I had was pretty stringent on building this according to standards.

I fully understand there are times when you have to work with what you have...with that being said always remember one day someone is going to have to come back behind you and that person maybe yourself Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post  CanadianLineman on Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:23 pm

topgroove wrote:here at Grid we use the fiberglass pad vault. I hate when homeowners plant those shrubs around them to hide them. Most of my troublework is at night so sometimes its a real bitch to find the padmount your looking for.
when I install one I like to shape up the #2 copper on the tank grounds to make a ground bussbar.

I used to carry two handled pruners for just such occasion. Homeowners were sometimes unhappy but much better than a prolonged outage due to shrubs. I once cut an ornamental (and expensive) shrub at 3AM. Homeowner tried to go after the company but left very unhappy when shown the brochure showing the space required for "safety" concerns as well as convenience for other customers.
CanadianLineman

http://www.shotgunsbc.ca

Back to top Go down

Shrubs

Post  rcdallas on Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:57 pm

There are quite a few padmounts around this part of the world you can't switch hot because people decided to build fences around them...one cat built a deck over one. Some like to cater to them and put it back all nice and neat whereas I'm a loose cannon with a saw and will take it out along with fences left in pieces. Too many places where people lock their gates and come home to find their locks cut.

Had one about a month ago except it wasn't a transformer. I show up to find a partial power, underground secondary with u-guard on the pole. My instinct is telling me it's direct bury. Finally get the fault locator and start looking for the fault. It starts showing up in a high dollar landscape flower bed...my A-Frame hits something solid; I then cool it's in conduit and my handhole is underneath it. I get a shovel and remove the soil in the landscaping and found an irrigation valve cover. Shit that ain't it it must be direct bury.

I tell the customer we're about to dig up her fancy landscaping to make the repairs. She asked me to hold off for 30 minutes so her gardner could assist so we don't destroy her investment. Anyways he shows up and starts going on that he placed an irrigation handhole over our handhole so we could access it; I pull the lid off and sure enough there was my handhole WITH two friggen cinder blocks on top of it 30" below the top of the dirt.

All he did was cover our handhole with cinderblocks and dirt it didn't do a bit of good all the time while he's thinking he did so damn good wanting a pat on the back for a job well done. Still had to dig it out while the customer is freaking out because we are stepping all over her pansies.

After getting access to the lid sure enough mole bodies were boiling the water alright.

Told the customer she maybe getting charged for changing the grade without contacting us to raise our box. Her mouth dropped. WE WENT BACK WITH A PEDASTAL--Eat your heart out Twisted Evil

With this being said I would never own a home with a tub on it.

Back to top Go down

Post  lewy on Thu May 10, 2012 5:23 pm

rcdallas™ wrote:Attached below are some images of the two different types of padmount transformers--Type 1 and Type 2.

Type 1 is where the bushing well inserts are up top at equal height and a Type 2 is where it is staggered; 1 high and 1 low. I always remembered it as Type 2 for two low.

Type I

Type II

[img][/img][img][/img][img][/img]Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos" alt="" />

lewy

Back to top Go down

Post  lewy on Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:05 am

hotwiretamer wrote:

[img][/img][img][/img][img][/img][img][/img][img][/img][img]

lewy

Back to top Go down

Post  Highplains Drifter on Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:24 am

Lewy, I have a pair of the orange handle Kliens too. That is the only other pair I have seen, did you know Klien has a recall on them? I guess the 1000 volt insulation is not reliable. I was waiting until they are almost shot before getting my new pair.

Highplains Drifter

Back to top Go down

Post  rcdallas on Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:09 am

Lewy,

Best I can tell from the 1st picture it looks like a single phase pad mount H1A H1B and it has a switch? If so that is nice. No need to lift elbows to switch--I've never seen them on single phase.

Back to top Go down

Post  lewy on Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:30 am

rcdallas™ wrote:Lewy,

Best I can tell from the 1st picture it looks like a single phase pad mount H1A H1B and it has a switch? If so that is nice. No need to lift elbows to switch--I've never seen them on single phase.
They come on all of our single phase transformers & on our 3 phase we also have a secondary switch as well.

lewy

Back to top Go down

Post  hotwiretamer on Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:55 am

Pretty cool. The only time I have seen a switch on a single phase pot was on submersibles with non-lb elbows.

I'll bet your utility pays a good price for those, but I love that idea! In my opinion your trans vaults seem to be a bit

of overkill!
hotwiretamer

Back to top Go down

Post  rcdallas on Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:31 pm

I think the high cost for the switch makes up for the safety stand point along with the efficiency of switching all together.

So there is another switch that'll kill out the secondary too? That is nice--for times when you have to do some secondary work and not have to switch any elbows around.

HWT-SUBMERSIBLE

Haven't ever seen any.....if you ever get to snap a picture of one bounce

Back to top Go down

Post  lewy on Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:39 pm

rcdallas™ wrote:I think the high cost for the switch makes up for the safety stand point along with the efficiency of switching all together.

So there is another switch that'll kill out the secondary too? That is nice--for times when you have to do some secondary work and not have to switch any elbows around.

HWT-SUBMERSIBLE

Haven't ever seen any.....if you ever get to snap a picture of one bounce
We only have the secondary switch on our 3 phase transformers, but we they would supply it on our single phase if we requested it. We use the switches when ever they are available eliminates operating a live elbow.

lewy

Back to top Go down

Post  lewy on Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:44 pm

hotwiretamer wrote:Pretty cool. The only time I have seen a switch on a single phase pot was on submersibles with non-lb elbows.

I'll bet your utility pays a good price for those, but I love that idea! In my opinion your trans vaults seem to be a bit

of overkill!
The developer pays the freight on all of our new subdivisions & the primary is in duct from vault to vault. This was a revamp, bringing it up to new standards as we had to remove the soil because the old trans was a leaker.

lewy

Back to top Go down

Post  topgroove on Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:53 pm

I wish my company would purchase Padmounts with internal switches like that. the ability to switch out elbows before pulling them would be great.
topgroove

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top