Work in North Dakota

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Work in North Dakota

Post  BillWilliamson on Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:37 pm

Hey Drifter my gigs gonna dry up soon... I heard theres a big transmission push up your way Avernia or how ever the fuck it's spell is hiring out the ass.... whats up man? how much DC is there? and how many grid tyes to the great white notre are there? just wondering....transmission is blowing up in the US like crazy from what I've been told...just wanna hear the "beat on the street"...

for what it's worth...

Edge

BillWilliamson

Back to top Go down

Re: Work in North Dakota

Post  Highplains Drifter on Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:59 pm

BillWilliamson wrote:Hey Drifter my gigs gonna dry up soon... I heard theres a big transmission push up your way Avernia or how ever the fuck it's spell is hiring out the ass.... whats up man? how much DC is there? and how many grid tyes to the great white notre are there? just wondering....transmission is blowing up in the US like crazy from what I've been told...just wanna hear the "beat on the street"...

for what it's worth...

Edge

Hey Edge welcome home! I have been lonesome for you and your input on line-work. You know I have never made so much money in all of my career, but we all know that most of it is inflated. The funny part is my ship came in at the end o my career so to me the Golden Years have a new meaning.

Noooo I have not joined AARP yet and have no plans in the near future. Here are two stories I read and sent to the Business Manager of Local 55. I want him to be on top o this so it will be a Union job.

June 2, 2011 from KIWA radio Sheldon, Iowa

A power line company is planning to build a 500-mile high-voltage power line from northwest Iowa to Illinois and areas to the east. But, according to Clean Line Energy's Cary Kottler, it's not just for any power -- it's strictly for the wind energy potential we have in northwest Iowa.

We had a chance to talk with Kottler about the specifics of the project.

He says the problem right now is that there is plenty of wind energy potential in our area, but without power lines to transport it away, we have no market for it.

He says that the actual route has not yet been chosen.

That's why they're hosting the meetings, says Kottler.

He says that once they get the power to Illinois, they can tap into the grid and access markets as far away as the east coast.

He says they choose this area for a couple of big reasons.

He says they appreciate all the support they have received so far. He says northwest Iowans really seem to understand and appreciate the issues at hand. He says they also will create 5000 construction jobs and 500 permanent jobs and will pay the county $7000 per mile per year for the easement.

January 25, 2012.....$250 Million Wind Energy Substation To Be In O’Brien County

The company that wants to build a wind energy power transmission line to connect northwest Iowa with the east coast has decided on a general location for a $250 million substation.

The Rock Island Clean Line has selected converter station locations at both ends of the line, in Iowa and in Illinois. The converter station in Iowa will serve as a wind energy collection hub, changing incoming alternating current power from wind farms into direct current power. Besides transferring electricity from one line to another, the converter stations also must switch AC to DC or DC to AC because the proposed line is a high voltage DC power line. HVDC is more efficient than HVAC.

After conducting multiple wind resource studies and technical analyses, Clean Line officials report that they have selected O’Brien County as the site for the windward converter station. O’Brien County is located in the heart of Iowa’s best wind resources, many of which are undeveloped, and locating the converter station in this area will maximize the opportunity for new wind farm development. A specific location has yet to be selected.

At the other end of the transmission line in Illinois, the second converter station will change the direct current power back into alternating current power, which then will be transmitted into the grid where it can be used by homes and businesses. That station will be in Grundy County, IL

Company officials report that the converter station for an HVDC transmission line looks similar to a typical electricity substationwith the addition of a building that holds the converter valves in an enclosed environment. The converter station will take up between 45 and 65 fenced acres.

The project’s name “Rock Island Clean Line” is a throwback to the Rock Island Railroad. The original idea was for the line to roughly follow the route of the Rock Island Rail. But while railroads wanted to go through big cities, the power line wants to stay away from them as much as possible, so they didn’t exactly follow that route.

Highplains Drifter

Back to top Go down

thanks

Post  BillWilliamson on Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:23 pm

just hope for my 59th.... I'm heading back in a week or so... I'm gone for another six weeks or so then done... gotta love the DoE.... just looking for the next BIG GIG... I still got the fever...

I haven't done any DC/AC stuff in shit 20 some years.... would be fun so see the new ideas and prits… I have seen some of the converter layouts....crazy shit some of the yard will be huge.... I'm more interested on the line building... heard they are putting up some new guyed ve DC shit up in ND just wanted to get your take...

Bill

BillWilliamson

Back to top Go down

Post  lamartin.cvec on Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:52 pm

Dude!!!

RETIRE!!!!!!

sit back on these web sites or get a job/create a job and teach !!!!

If I knew I wouldn't get fired I come over to your place and pull your meters!

Leif

lamartin.cvec

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top