Hoover Damn

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hoover Damn

Post  hotwiretamer on Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:04 pm

We lost a couple of phases the other day over HWY 93 right before the new Pat Tillman bridge the other day.
Old 1/0 copper. Here are some pictures!











avatar
hotwiretamer

Posts : 213
Join date : 2012-01-31
Age : 56
Location : Arizona

http://www.bellsellshavasu.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Hoover Damn

Post  topgroove on Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:55 pm

I bet those long spans of 1/o copper are heavy Sad
avatar
topgroove

Posts : 428
Join date : 2012-01-29

Back to top Go down

Re: Hoover Damn

Post  hotwiretamer on Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:17 pm

The crew we were helping had a foreman that thought we could get up to the hoists
with a hand line!
We talked him in to using a couple of travelers, one at the arm and the other at the base
of the H-structure, and hooking it to a pickup.
Just getting the slack out of the bull line with three guys didn't even get the copper off
the ground! I'm not sure what he was thinking. It was about a 470' span!
Someone used stirups out past the shoes on the three pole structure, and it burned the
wire right at the stirups. We connected the jumpers on the tail coming out of the shoes
once we got it back up.
Do you think the stirups, being aluminum may have caused the failure?
avatar
hotwiretamer

Posts : 213
Join date : 2012-01-31
Age : 56
Location : Arizona

http://www.bellsellshavasu.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Hoover Damn

Post  MI-Lineman on Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:31 pm

Nice pics Hotwire! Aluminum on copper???? Nah! Rolling Eyes

Hey, ever check your pms?? Wink

Oh and is it true they have alien spacecraft hidden in the dam? Suspect
avatar
MI-Lineman

Posts : 198
Join date : 2012-02-02
Age : 43
Location : Up here!

Back to top Go down

Re: Hoover Damn

Post  topgroove on Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:42 pm

hotwiretamer wrote:The crew we were helping had a foreman that thought we could get up to the hoists
with a hand line!
We talked him in to using a couple of travelers, one at the arm and the other at the base
of the H-structure, and hooking it to a pickup.
Just getting the slack out of the bull line with three guys didn't even get the copper off
the ground! I'm not sure what he was thinking. It was about a 470' span!
Someone used stirups out past the shoes on the three pole structure, and it burned the
wire right at the stirups. We connected the jumpers on the tail coming out of the shoes
once we got it back up.
Do you think the stirups, being aluminum may have caused the failure?

without a doubt, galvanic reaction played a huge part.
avatar
topgroove

Posts : 428
Join date : 2012-01-29

Back to top Go down

Re: Hoover Damn

Post  hotwiretamer on Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:49 pm

MI-Lineman wrote:Nice pics Hotwire! Aluminum on copper???? Nah! Rolling Eyes

Hey, ever check your pms?? Wink

Oh and is it true they have alien spacecraft hidden in the dam? Suspect

I'm not sure about the alien spacecraft, but I've heard there is some bodies that were
poured in with the concrete!

I haven't received any new PM's in awhile. But yes, I check them? alien
avatar
hotwiretamer

Posts : 213
Join date : 2012-01-31
Age : 56
Location : Arizona

http://www.bellsellshavasu.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Hoover Damn

Post  Highplains Drifter on Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:26 am

Nice photos, so did you turn around on the Nevada side so you could go over that bridge?
avatar
Highplains Drifter

Posts : 305
Join date : 2012-01-31
Location : in the City

Back to top Go down

Re: Hoover Damn

Post  admin on Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:36 am

Love the reach on that bucket way cool

admin
Admin

Posts : 136
Join date : 2012-01-29

http://linemantoolbox.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Hoover Damn

Post  hotwiretamer on Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:05 pm

You know it Drifter, you have to, as there is no turning around on that split HWY until you reach the other side. You don't
even know that you are crossing the bridge. You can't see over it with the concrete barriers in the way as you drive over it.
I wish we had a little time to get out and walk it. There is a visitors center for the Damn and Bridge. I'll get more pics next time
I am out that way.

That bucket truck is Kingmans. It also has a 20' elevator in the belly! It's been in there fleet for about 2 months.
Did you notice the extension in the upper boom? It's a bad ass truck.... for transmission. Ain't worth a shit for distribution though!
avatar
hotwiretamer

Posts : 213
Join date : 2012-01-31
Age : 56
Location : Arizona

http://www.bellsellshavasu.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Hoover Damn

Post  topgroove on Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:08 pm

hotwiretamer wrote:You know it Drifter, you have to, as there is no turning around on that split HWY until you reach the other side. You don't
even know that you are crossing the bridge. You can't see over it with the concrete barriers in the way as you drive over it.
!

Two brothers most likely are dead near here, just like you said, " you dont realize your on a bridge. The I 390 near rochester has a bridge over the Genessee River. Its a split bridge with two lanes in each direction, seperated by a ten foot gap. In the dark that gap looks just like the center median. Two brothers were driving that span when one had a seizure. Emergancy crews took them to a local hospital where the one brother received treatment. A few hours later a third brother picked em up from the hospital and took them back to the car, only they were on the west bound span. Their car was on the east bound span.

they said "thanks for the ride", and waited for a break in trafic to cross the busy highway. they both took off running and jumped the 3 foot concrete barrier not realizing there's a ten foot gap between the spans. Its assumed that they fell one hundred feet into the shallow ice cold river below. Their bodies have not been recovered. pale
avatar
topgroove

Posts : 428
Join date : 2012-01-29

Back to top Go down

Re: Hoover Damn

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum