linemantoolbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boxing Gloves

4 posters

Go down

Boxing Gloves Empty Boxing Gloves

Post  rcdallas Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:47 pm

The first time I went to work hot secondary I was asked if I had a good set of leather gloves. So I went up and did what I had to do. No big deal. Eventually I got a pair of class 0 but it was still common to work secondary out of leather gloves @120/240 without violating any safety rules.

Now it's work secondary in class 2 gloves no ifs ands or buts about it.

What do ya'll do ?
rcdallas
rcdallas

Back to top Go down

Boxing Gloves Empty Re: Boxing Gloves

Post  Highplains Drifter Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:41 am

I don’t know what to say, I am old school and learn how to stay out of series with leather gloves, I always had one pair that stayed clean for just working secondarys .
Highplains Drifter
Highplains Drifter

Back to top Go down

Post  hotwiretamer Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:29 am

We too used to wear leather gloves on secondary, and I'll have to confess occasionally we still do.

We use Class O's for are secondary work.
I'm guessing they don't trust you with two sets of gloves RC??

What a bummer working on secondary in class 2's. Now that really sucks!

hotwiretamer
hotwiretamer

http://www.bellsellshavasu.com

Back to top Go down

Post  CanadianLineman Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:02 pm

I rarely saw rubber glove in my first 10 years in the trade. We did a lot of conversion from 4kV to 12 in the city and of course I used gloves on 4. But the majority of my work was with hot sticks because almost everything here is 12kV or higher and this Province at least the largest utility has remained "hot stick". So we worked secondary with leather gloves. I traveled to Ontario in the 80's and it was a shock to the system because you had to were the gloves rated for the highest voltage on the pole or U/G system. So I was forced to work ground to ground - lock to lock with 25kV rated gloves on secondary up a pole or on a dead front can. I lasted less than a year - what a nightmare.

I went to work in the UK and the Middle East and never saw rubber gloves except in one oil concession that used to have American workers. I did do some glove work there - but never on secondary unless I felt I needed it.

Recently here the WCB has put in Regulation that secondary gloves must be worn while working secondary. I guess I'm okay with that. All the poles here are green treated and conduct pretty well. I still cannot get used to wearing sec gloves on U/G though. The damn cable is wrapped with a concentric ground. If it were to fail, and I have never seen this while working XLP. it goes to the grounded concentric.

Some of the places I worked didn't require rubber gloves on U/G and some do. It is very common in the East for mandatory glove use more than in the West - both USA and Canada. I'm sure glad I have reached the end on my working life in this trade because sometimes the required use of rubber gloves is just a hazzard to me. I watch some of these "new linemen" and many are so afraid of electricity I can't figure out how they are ever going to get anything done.

Holy Crap I think I just sounded like you know who. Sad
CanadianLineman
CanadianLineman

http://www.shotgunsbc.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum